Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hugs & Love & Stuff

Alex's hugs are getting better and better, and last night was no exception.

After reading books, he usually places his request for me to sleep with him.  Which is then whittled down to me just laying with him for a bit.  However, if you'll recall, he currently sleeps on a crib mattress on the floor.  He's small, but when I lay on that mattress with him, I have to contort myself in such a way it makes it next to impossible to get up without waking him up if he falls asleep.  Since I am not a circus performer, I end up laying on his Cars futon.  I'm sure that futon is quite cushiony if you are a 40lb toddler.  But when you are a whole-lot-more-than-40lb adult, cushiony it is not.  And most nights, he decides sleeping on his mattress is not acceptable because it is multiple inches away from me and how is he supposed to be able to roll over and smash me in the face with his wildly flailing head that way?...and he snuggles up next to me on the futon.

Last night, as we laid all smooshed up on the futon, he asked me to give him back scratches.  I knew I had a jagged nail.  I knew this becaase I felt it earlier, but just couldn't gather the focus to go get a file and fix it.  With the knowledge of this jagged spear at the end of my finger, I opted to rub his back instead of scratch it.  He immediately spun around to look at me and inform me those were  not scratches; those were pets.  Well, excuuuUUuusse me, Mr. Knowseverythingaboutbackscratches.  Turn around Your Highness, the scratches will commence.  Please be sure to let me know if they do not reach the level of excellence you expect and deserve.

But, as my hip and shoulder were getting sore from laying on 1" of the most easily flattened foam ever, Alex started wiggling all around again.  Before I could tell him to lay still, he slid his little right arm under my neck and wrapped his left arm around my shoulder and gently rubbed my back.  And if that wasn't enough to melt my heart, he whispered, "Mom?  I love ya.  I love ya."

And with that, I forgot all about him putting his foot through the insulating plastic I had just finished putting up  on his windows before bed time.  He's slick that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment