Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Once again...I rule.

Last night marked the most impressive temper tantrum yet.

It started with a 10 minute freak out fest in the car when we left daycare. Apparently me buckling him into his car seat was the meanest and most intolerable thing I could have possibly done. But that was just a teaser for what he had in store for me. A tantrum appetizer if you will.

He was not pleased we were not staying outside when we got home. Outside in the freezing 10degree weather. The screaming started as soon as I closed the door with us on the inside. And then I tried to take off his jacket. That threw the tantrum into overdrive and the screaming was paired up with rolling around on the floor...with some intermittent kicking thrown in for good measure. And that lovely little mess went on for about 35 minutes, traversing the distance of the kitchen to the living room and back again.

I tried to calm him down a couple of times. I put him in a time out a couple of times. I laughed at him a couple of times. Nothin'. He kept up with the screaming and flopping like a trout on a boat deck. At about the 30 minute mark, he wanted to keep throwing his fit, but he wanted to be touching me while doing so. This was accomplished by crawling over to me while screaming and then rolling around between my feet. Finally I was able to hold him long enough for him to point to his room where we retrieved his nuk and blanket. The shoes and jacket came off and all was right in the world...

Until I wouldn't let him play with the printer. The screaming-rolling-kicking tantrum was once again engaged. I managed to wrestle him into some pajamas, which he finds terribly funny so the tantrum subsided, and we sat down to read some books. After the second book and half a cup of milk, he started lunging for the floor while writhing around and whining. And finally I had had enough. So I put him down while loudly saying, "Fine! You want to be on the floor?! Be on the floor!" And I forcefully put the book back on the shelf.

He reached down, grabbed his nuk, popped it in his mouth, looked up at me with big sad blue eyes, and said "Up?"

Yep. I'm an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment