Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mini Van Gogh

We are working on getting Alex off the bottle and onto a sippy cup. There is one big problem. He isn't particularly interested in holding his own drinking vessel. Oh he can, he just doesn't really want to be bothered with it. His hands have much more busy work to do than hold a silly bottle or sippy cup. So, I will hand him whatever I am giving him to drink, he will take one slug off it, and hand it back to me with his mouth open. Like, See, I can do it. Now hold this for me so I can drink while terrorizing this blanket.

There are two times I don't try to have him hold onto his bottle, in the morning and at night. Those are usually the two times he will actually snuggle with me. Usually. Lately the bedtime bottle has turned into a gymnastics routine/wrestling match, and the morning bottle consists of him drinking one ounce of milk and then taking off. This morning he didn't even bother with the one ounce. He had things to do, toys to play with, a dog to chase. Later in the morning he was doing his best hungry fish impression so I sat him down on the floor and handed him his bottle. He did a really good job of sitting there and drinking. But apparently his thirst was quenched rather quickly. After taking .7 seconds to put my bagel in the toaster, I turn around to see him still sitting where I left him, but no longer drinking. In that short time, his bottle when from a source of nutrition to a giant milk marker. He was "drawing" large milk streaks across the kitchen floor. He's advanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment