Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Prep

At bedtime last night, Alex jumped up on my bed to say goodnight to Aiden and he noticed her nose was dry.  I laid his concern to rest (I thought), and he headed to his room.  While getting into bed, he reminded me that he wishes Aiden could live forever.  And then he went on to say he just didn't understand why things and people and animals have to die (aside from the immortal jellyfish thankyouverymuch Wild Kratts).  I told him I didn't get it either, and that it is sad and hard to understand but we would work through it when the time came.  Then he asked if I thought Aiden was going to live until Alex's 10th birthday.  I said I didn't know, but I didn't think so.  While quietly crying, he settled into bed.

A couple beats later, this happened:
Alex:  Mom?  When Aiden does die...can we like...keep her around?
Me:  How do you mean?
Alex:  Well...I mean...can we like, hang her on the wall?
Me (shocked, mortified, trying not to hysterically laugh):  You mean how people sometimes do with deer heads?
Alex:  Yeah!
Me:  Ummm, no.

I did say we could do a plaster paw print that he could keep.  He thought that would be alright and then laid this one one me:  "Can we also please bury her in the yard so I can go be with her any time I need to?"

And then there were two people crying in Alex's bed last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment