Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Sure, why not?

Since this arm/back/shoulder thing has emerged, I am pretty close to useless at home.  I'm not allowed to lift anything other than Sam and I'm only allowed to do that at the bare minimum.  Mostly because that child is huge.  The doctor asked how old he was, and when I said 3&1/2 months, he replied, "Oh, ok.  So he's still pretty light."  And that's when I had to admit my child is a beast.  He is close to 15lbs.  At 3&1/2 months.  Doctor's response?  "Oh!  So....he's not that light."

In light of all of this, Travis has been getting up with Sam at night.  The sweet baby is down to only waking up once at night, which is super awesome, but is still tiring.  And we found out that maybe just maybe Travis wasn't fully recognizing how exhausing it is to not be able to sleep all night because you are getting up every four hours to feed a baby like I have been doing for the past three and a half months.  On Friday, after getting up once a night for three nights in a row, he called me to let me know he was putting off two of his stops until Saturday when I was going to be at my parents' with the boys, because he was so tired and he needed to go home and take a nap.  Now I really appreciate him stepping up to help since I am hurt.  And he really really has.  But maybe don't be such a baby about getting up at night.  Or at least phrase it in some way that acknowledges the fact that he hasn't had to do a single night feeding since this kid was born.  Moving on.

On Saturday my arm felt really good, so I got up to feed Sam.  Now, I was told one of the medications I'm on sometimes makes people feel a little goofy so I should be aware and careful.  Good good.  So, I get up to feed Sam.  I grab a bottle, open the formula container dohickey that has the formula premeasured, dump it in the bottle, and shake it like crazy.  I sit down with Sam and start feeding him.  And he's acting kinda funny, so I look down and think, "Huh...I wonder why it looks so dark in the bottle.  Am I crazy or does it normally look...whiter?"  It takes me a couple minutes, but I finally unsuction the bottle from my baby velociraptor and look at it.  Yeah.  It's just water.  Apparently the section of the formula dispenser I chose was empty.  But in my sleep/medicated state, I "dumped" it into the bottle and shook it like a polaroid picture like normal.  And then fed my 3&1/2 month old straight water.  'Cause if they tell ya anything, it's that infants really really like straight water.  They're super good at digesting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment