Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dolla Dolla Bills Y'All

As I mentioned before, Alex is having a little bit of a bumpy week this week.  Yesterday I got a call from day care asking if he had said anything about not feeling good before I dropped him off.  He hadn't, but I knew what was going on.  He has started claiming he's not feeling well and needs to stay home.  I'm pretty sure the novelty of moving and 4K and all the changes along with those things has worn off, and he's a little off kilter.  He is also Star of the Week this week at day care and he just does not do well with that.  I guess he can't handle the pressure.  Wimp.

This morning we added big ol' pile of soggy straw the anxiety camel's back when we said good-bye to Bert.  Today's the day.  Bert and Harley are moving back to California.  This is not a happy turn of events.  I mean, I  suppose it's good for Bert...what with getting a promotion, getting out of the Polar Vortex that has become the Midwest, and getting back to Carlo.  Blah, blah, positive life changes, blah.  Whatever.

Bert and Harley spent the night at our house last night and were with this morning when I dropped Alex off.  Alex said good-bye, started climbing out of the truck, and then asked if he could say good-bye again while climbing back in.  When he got out, he looked up at me almost in shock and said, "But Mom, I'm really going to miss them!  I'm going to miss them because we aren't going to see them for a REALLY LONG TIME."  Soooo, the reality that we won't be seeing them almost every day has finally hit my little man.

Not long after I got to work, I got another call from day care.  The director, who has been part of Alex's life since he was 8 weeks old, called to let me know she had a talk with Alex because he seemed off and she asked him what was going on this week.  He told her he was very sad because Bert was leaving.  She explained that we could always talk to him whenever we wanted and that we will be able to talk to him on the computer.  That seemed to help, but she just wanted to let me know about their little chat.

I know he's going to be fine.  I know it's ok for him to be sad, and it is good for him to learn how to deal with and process his emotions and all that junk.  But all I want to do is quit my job and go scoop him up and snuggle him forever so nothing can hurt his little feelers EVER.

So, I sent his 4K teacher an email checking on his behavior there this week, and giving her a heads up about us having to say good-bye to Bert and Harley.  She replied thanking me for letting her know and passed on a little nugget that made her smile.  Apparently Alex had money in his pocket on Tuesday.  And when she asked him where he got said money, he let her know he got it from working and proceeded to list four jobs he did that he got paid for.  I have no clue where that money came from, but I can guarantee it most definitely did not come from anything resembling work.

No comments:

Post a Comment