Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Rockin' Out

We hung out at Lake Red Stone this past weekend with some family.  It's about an hour drive or so and the radio reception gets a bit spotty.  So, Travis and I were discussing what we wanted to listen to.  We weren't really coming up with anything that grabbed us, so there were a lot of options being thrown around.  After a minute or so, Alex piped up in the backseat and said, "I want to hear Little Ghost."

Little background...we were in the car a couple weeks ago and I was listening to The White Stripes and the song "Little Ghost" came on and from the backseat I hear, "Gasp!  I love this song."  

Back to last Friday.  Alex requested this song out of the blue.  They listen to music a lot at daycare, but it's Kid Bopz or Baby Bumblebee or the Chipmunks covering The Black Eyed Peas.  So for him to pick this song, this White Stripes song, out of his musical repertoire?  Well, we were really proud of him.  I realize it's pride in an annoying hipster "my kid is soooo cool that he's too cool for mainstream music" type of way, but I do not care.  I was proud.

I listen to some crap music and I listen to some good music, I like to think I lean more toward the good music side, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is listening to something that makes you feel something.  Nothing can compare to the amazing love Ray Charles can make you feel when he croons about Georgia.  Or the relaxation Ottis Redding can immediately instill with a song about a bay.  Music can completely make a moment.  Or completely ruin a moment for that matter.  But music is a very powerful thing and I really like that Alex is aware of the music in his world.  And I like that he is figuring out what he likes.

Anywho, I was really proud and I guess I still am, but man he's testing the limits of my pride.  This is now the only song he wants to listen to.  Ever.  Always.  Don't get me wrong, it's a really good song.  But shit.  As soon as I start the car, "Mom, I wanna listen to Little Ghost please."  As soon as it's done, "again."

No comments:

Post a Comment