Thursday, September 23, 2010

Abigail Pail

9 years ago today was a big day. 9 years ago today my niece was born. I remember that day like it just happened. It feels like it just happened. But there we all were, sitting in the waiting room for what felt like an eternity, eating brats my dad had made earlier and was now reheating one by one. And then finally finally finally Joe came out with the biggest smile and the hugest eyes, yelled to us "It's a girl!" and ran back to Nicki and their new baby. I would say ran back to their adorable new baby, but damn. That girl. Wow.

Then time started its march. As cliche as it is, it seriously feels like I blinked and she is 9. What happened to the little baby girl belly laughing on the bathroom counter while I changed her nasty butt? What happened? She turned into an incredible girl. She is funny and smart and beautiful. I am just all giddy and mushy that I have been able to be a part of the adventure that is Abby.

I called her this morning to wish her a happy birthday and to hear what was on her agenda for the day. And I had to fight back tears as she went through, in painstakingly great detail, what she had done so far and what was to come. I wanted to crawl through the phone and hug her. I can't believe how grown up she is and I can't wait to see what the next 9 years have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment