Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Besties

We had two Christmas mornings this year.  Due to the lack of space at the Zinniel Inn, Travis, Alex and I stayed at my sister's house.  So we had our first Christmas morning at her house.  Her kids woke up around 5:30 to open presents.  Alex was right there awake with them, but not out of excitement.  He was awake because he was sleeping with Travis and I.  And although he can still easily fit in his crib, a queen size bed was not providing nearly enough room for him to sprawl while sharing it with us.  This lack of space was demonstrated by his feet being jammed into my chest, stomach and face at various points throughout the night.  So, we were all up at 5:30 ready to tear into some presents.

In the middle of opening presents, Alex looked at his cousin and said, "Abby, you my best friend."  And she wasn't even currently en route with a present!  I was juuuuust about brought to tears.  I didn't even realize he knew what that meant, much less have a best friend in mind.

Travis then reminded me of the scene in Cars where Mater tells Lightning he is his best friend.  Which at first kinda took away some of the sentiment of the moment for me.  But now that I think about it, it makes it that much better.  That kid knows that movie inside and out, forward and back.  And he is very versed in the relationship between Mater and Lightning.  He gets what friendship means.  And he decided his cousin is his best friend...even before she took him for his first horse back ride.  I'm guessin' that only solidified his choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment