Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Oh what a difference a year makes

At this exact time 1 year ago I was hee-hee-hooo-ing through contractions, while trying not to punch Travis. Not for any reason other than at the start of every single contraction, I would moan and he would say, without fail, "Another one?" Like he was surprised. And all I kept thinking was "Yes, ANOTHER ONE! There are going to be a lot of 'another ones'! Like every couple of minutes! If you want to be conscious for this kid's birth, I suggest you stop insinuating that you are surprised that I am going through 'another one'!"

And then at 4:19pm, after singing along with the Counting Crows for a little over an hour while trying to figure out how to get this kid out of my body, Alex was in my arms. All slimy and weird colored. With the skinniest little legs and the biggest cone head. Holy shit that kid had a cone head. My first thought was, whoooooa...dude...we have a baby. And my second thought was, "Oh well, we didn't get a cute one." He was so ugly that first day. I suppose I wouldn't look so great after being submerged for 10 months and then being treated like the slowest moving push up popsicle ever, but whatever.

But now, 12 short months later, he is the cutest miniature human. It is crazy the changes and growing a baby does in the first year. He was this weird larval alien thing that could barely move his head. And now he is 1 year old. He has personality. He knows things that he likes and things that he doesn't. He "talks" all the time.

Before he was just a baby.

Now he is Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment