Monday, May 17, 2010

Summer hours

Working in the lovely world of HVAC for a company that focuses more on the "H" than the "VAC", my summer work load is a bit light. Lucky for me, my boss really likes to play in the summer. So we get to go on a different work schedule for the summer. Since the boss man still wants his 40 hours of work from us and he kinda likes the customers to be able to contact someone during normal business hours, schedules get a little creative.

We have to work 9 hour days Monday through Thursday, and then Fridays...one week I will work a half day in the morning, the next week a half day but during the afternoon, and then the third week? The glorious third week? I get Friday off. So every third week I have a three day weekend. During the entire summer. When it's sunshiney and warm outside. It is fabulous.

Previous years the creative schedule was not an issue as there was no beast child in the mix. No daycare to worry about, with all their having to schedule teachers to work and possible not being able to bend to my every whim and fancy. The nerve! Basically what all of this means is Alex is going to have longer days at daycare Monday through Thursday and shorter days on Friday..or no daycare at all...on those special Fridays, he is stuck with me. So Monday through Thursday when you add up the 9 hours I am actually working + 1/2 hour lunch + 15 mins from daycare to the office + 15 mins from the office to daycare, it all works out to 10 hours at daycare. That's a lot of hours each day.

I am having some guilty feelings about this. This morning he was only awake for 45 mins before we had to leave to drop him off. And then tonight I won't pick him up until about 5 and he goes to bed by 7. That works out to 2 hours and 45 minutes of awake time each day, 4 days a week.

I have realized I need to get past my guilt for a few reasons.
-He loves it there
-He has other babies to play with there
-They love him
-When you add up the hours, he is there the same, if not less hours per week as he was before

I actually just did the math and realized that last point. That is making me feel a truckload better. Huh. Whaddya know? This blog thing with all the writing down my thoughts is actually productive sometimes. Weird.

Anyway, the way I see it, this is the long and short of it all. Both Travis and I have to work. And the lottery isn't nearly as reliable as I would prefer, so it looks like both of us are going to have to continue working. So... Is he safe and in caring hands while we have to work? Absolutely. Does he love it there? More than at home sometimes I think. Are we going to miss some pretty important milestones the first time they happen? Been there, crawled and rolled over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment