Monday, August 5, 2019

Meaning

While trying to get Sam to sleep last night we had some interesting conversation...

There was a big ol' pile of blankets on his bed and he called it a "pile-ette" and then asked me if that was a bad word.  After a fair amount of confused back and forth, I finally realized he was trying to say "shut your pie hole."  Great.  I explained it wasn't exactly a bad word, but it definitely wasn't something nice to say.  He followed that with, "But the 'shit' word is a bad one, right?"

He then launched into telling me that he loves me, but sometimes he gets mad at me.  I took that opportunity to remind him that it's ok to be mad at people, and even though we can get mad at each other we always love each other no matter what...
"And Mama?  Sometimes when you get mad at me, it makes me cry."
"Yes Buddy, I know.  I'm sorry it makes you cry.  But even if I'm mad about your behavior, I always always love you."
"And sometimes Mama?  When you tell me you always love me it makes me cry too, but a different cry."
"Do you mean it makes you feel so happy it makes you cry?"  (I said while barely holding it together.)
"Yes!  Like that!  I love you, Mama.  Can I have one big kiss?  Not a billion little kisses though.  Just one big one."
"Absolutely."

No comments:

Post a Comment