Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Alternative Heat Source

My office is downstairs in our tri-level house.  So while I have plenty of windows, I am below the frost line, and baby it's cold down here.  There is an electric baseboard heater on the wall next to my desk, but it's not super efficient and is expensive as hell, so I don't turn it on often.  Every once in a while though, I just can't take it anymore and I turn it on for a bit to take the bite out of the air.  A couple days ago, I just couldn't take it anymore.

I turned the heater on and shortly thereafter thought, "Huh...it smells kinda funny."  I figured some dust had settled on the metal fins and was being gently burned off.  About an hour later, I got up to go to the bathroom.  That's when I noticed the slight smoky haze the sun rays coming through the window were pointing out to me.
Hmmm, perhaps it's not just some dusty fins.  So, I turned it off, let it cool down, and popped the faceplate off the heater.  This is what I found:
I'll let ya look at it for a hot minute to figure out what it is.

...

Give up?  It's a freaking Nerf dart that had disinegrated/melted all over the fins.  It apparently (apparently!) got through the gap between the top of the heater and the faceplate, and just waited there patiently for me to get chilly.

After some picking and scraping, I got most of it off.  Just in time to be overcome with frozen feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment