Thursday, April 20, 2017

Companion

I have been doing a bunch of yard work the past three days.  We have mulch beds around three sides of our house, and Travis hates them.  He mostly hates how the mulch often sneaks out of its designated area and into the lawn to be run over and spit out by the lawn mower.  He has wanted to replace the mulch with river rock since we moved it.  Alas, it's a lot of work and river rock is flippin' expensive, so mulch it was.  Until last week.

I was driving home and saw a sign in a neighbor's yard, "Free River Rock."  What's that now?  Free?  Like you want no money for this?
So on Saturday, I sent Travis and Alex with shovels and a trailer to the neighbor's house.  They made three trips, and left a giant pile of pretty river rock in our driveway.  I was able to put off starting this project Saturday because Travis's parents came to our house for dinner.  And then Sunday was Easter at my parents'.  Can't start the project yet.  Bummer.  Shucks.  I really couldn't wait.  ::end sarcasm::

I was all set to start in on it Monday if I wasn't too busy with work.  Apparently Sam didn't want me to get rid of the mulch, because he barfed all over me when I tried to drop him off at daycare.  So he was home with me all day.  It is hard enough to work with him home, so there was no way I was going to be able to take care of him, work, and start The Great DeMulching of 2017.  

But Monday was my planned start day.  I don't like plans like that changing.  Luckily Travis knows this about me, even though he doesn't know things like tulips being my favorite flower for, oh I don't know, pretty much my whole life.  I realize not knowing someone's favorite flower is really not that big of a deal, but we have been consciously coupled for going on 16 freaking years.  But I digress.  He does know I want to start things whenever I have arbitrarily picked a start date, so he sent me outside when he got home from work.  Yay!  

I had the front and one side of the house done by Tuesday evening.  Yesterday, I headed back out to finish the last section before it rained.  I brought the dog with me because I like her a little bit and she likes being outside.  Before I started, I did a quick little poo pick-up in the front yard so I didn't have to avoid any landmines while going back and forth from the house to the driveway rock stockpile with the wheel barrow.  Then I got started.

I was about two minutes in when my dear sweet Aiden, even though she had the whole front yard to chose from, decided to poo about three feet from me.  I swear, she is such an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment