Friday, June 20, 2014

Observant

Yesterday marked my 145378th trip to Target since Sam was born.  And since we are 9 short days away from Alex's 5th birthday, Sam and I took a quick trip through the toy section.  I remembered there was an Imaginext fire station/police station/city thing that Alex has been eyeing for quite sometime.  I hadn't talked to Travis about what we were getting Alex for his birthday, but the fire station/police station/city thing was on sale and so was the K9 police motorcycle figure that would work as a nice accessory.  So I bought them both and figured I would just return them if Travis had some other grand plan.

When I got home, I unloaded the car and was putting things away when Sam rudely interrupted me by waking up and wanting to eat.  The nerve of some babies.  I had most of the stuff put away, but the giant fire station/police station/city thing and accompanying police motorcycle were on the kitchen table.  I didn't think much of it since neither Sam nor the dog were going to spill the beans about the present, and Alex wasn't home.

Fast forward to me getting Alex from daycare and coming back in the house from getting the mail to find him standing at the kitchen table, staring at his birthday present with a grin that just kept growing.  One of my friends was visiting, so I quickly told Alex to run downstairs and get the Lego car she had sent to him to show her that he put it together.  While he did that, I sprinted the present up to my room to hide it.

After showing off his mad Lego skills, he immediately came back into the kitchen, paused a second, and then asked me where the toy went that had been sitting on the table.  I admitted it was supposed to be for his birthday and he just grinned and said, "buuuut, I already saw it Mom."

We had a short discussion about whether or not he could possibly wait until his birthday to open the boxes and I conceded that he could have the small accessory piece right then and that we would talk about the big part when Travis got home.  I successfully distracted him from remembering it when Travis got home, but first thing this morning, he reminded me that we hadn't opened it.  I again successfully got him to focus on something else.

This is gonna be a long 9 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment