Thursday, October 21, 2010

Welcome to the club!

This morning has been smooth sailing so far. Alex let me sleep until 6:30 and then only had one whiny moment when I was cream cheesing my bagel. He car seat danced and sang most of the way to daycare. When we got there, his favorite teacher was in his room for the day. There wasn't one whimper when I went to leave. He walked up to the little 3/4 door and reached up, but when I said, "See ya later alligator!" he giggled and went back to playing. Such a delightful and stark contrast to yesterday. It never ceases to amaze me how his reaction to being dropped off can make or break my day. Such an odd feeling that my entire mood can be controlled by this tiny little person that smears Spaghetti-O's in his hair and has a fly swatter as his "toy" of choice.

It's still weird when I think about the fact that I am a mom. For 30 years, "Mom" was not my title (well except for the people that worked for us, they called me Mom quite often). And then Whamo! Mom. Anyway, leaving daycare today, my mom-ness hit me square in the face. In a good way though. All of a sudden there is much more of a feeling of camaraderie among the parents. At least it feels that way to me. This morning there were just a lot of smiles and happy waves and good mornings. It's not like it was a Battle Royale other days, but this morning it just seemed...different. I don't know. But what I do know is that as I was driving off, I realized I am a mom...and I all of sudden have a whole different group of people to relate to and be friendly with.

I realize it wouldn't have taken most people a year and four weeks to figure all of this out, but whatever. Let's just all revel in the beauty of me finally accepting that new things can be really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment