Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chill out Mom, I got this.

At every "well baby" check-up the nurses and doctor ask you a bunch of questions regarding your kid's development. Everything from what he is eating to if he can do algebraic equations with his eyes closed yet.

Every time I answer as honestly as I can because I want to immediately know if we are missing some life altering milestone. Because that's rational. I have realized when it comes to Alex accomplishing new and different things, I have no ability to complete a rational thought. If he has attained a new skill, I am ridiculously brimming with pride and excitement. If another kid his age has mastered something that still alludes my kid, within a millisecond I am positive I have done something wrong and ruined my child. Don't even talk to me if a younger kid is passing up my baby in milestones. Say it with me now...irrational.

Anywho, I leave most appointments feeling kinda uneasy, kinda satisfied that we haven't completely screwed up this kid. I just don't like it if we aren't where we are "supposed" to be. I know every kid develops at different rates, but smack dab average would do wonders to settle my anxiety. At this last appointment, they asked if he is talking. Yep. I mean he is talking, technically. Just not in a language anyone of this planet can understand. So then they ask if he is saying 5-10 words that we can understand. At that moment all I could think of was his two definitions for no. That counts for 2 of the 5-10, right?

My point is this. Alex has once again shown me that his only purpose and goal in life is to prove me wrong. I left that appointment thinking we were never going to understand our child, and were going to have to find whatever alien taught him to speak for a full translation. But since that appointment words are popping up everywhere. This morning, he handed me his shoe. I said, "Do you want your shoes on?" He looks me square in the eye and says, "Sho." I need to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment