Friday, January 22, 2016

A Little Weird

Alex saw and listened to David Bowie for the first time last night.  He was looking through Instagram on my phone and someone I follow had posted a picture of Bowie, and Alex asked who he was.  So I showed him a video of a live performance of "Under Pressure."  And then he wanted to see other songs, so I started the video of "Space Oddity."

I looked at Alex during the second video and asked him why he looked confused.  He replied that he didn't understand because they sounded the same, but the person in the Space Oddity video was not the same person as in the Under Pressure video.  I explained that it was the same person, he just had on a lot of funky make up in the Space Oddity video.  And I went on to explain that Bowie thought self-expression was very important and something nobody should ever feel bad about.  We watched the video, and then a performance of "Changes."

After all three were done, I asked him what he thought.  He sat for a little bit and thought, and then said, "A little weird...but good.  Can we watch Under Pressure again?"

I like having him process things that are a little weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment