Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Blech.

Halloween.  Yuck.  The ONLY thing I like about this ridiculous "holiday" is the roasted pumpkin seeds.  Well, those and the candy.  But I mean, duh.  I don't feel that counts as something you get to say is something you like about Halloween.  Liking the bite size candy is a given.  The rest of it though?  No thank you.

The least offensive part is carving pumpkins.  I don't particularly like it, but I do enjoy seeing Alex's designs.  But then there's the coming up with a costume.  I hate coming up with a costume.  And getting all the pieces of the costume.  And making sure you aren't going to freeze to death.  And either being something completely obvious or having to explain yourself for the entirety of the time you are in said torturous costume.  I despise the entire process.  So when Alex stopped mid-bath with a bolt of shock that he hadn't thought to ask sooner and asked me what I was going to be, I swallowed my groan, put on a smile, and said, "I was thinking about going as a Mom."  Not surprisingly, that didn't fly.  "You can't do that!  You're already a mom!!"  Yeah?  Well, then my costume should be spot on.

And of all that is before you have endure the entire Halloween "season" being constantly on high alert for assholes that think it's funny to scare you.  I don't like being scared.  It isn't fun nor is it funny to me.  And I think it's a big ol' pile of stinky BS that someone gets a free pass on chasing me down a driveway with a chainsaw because it's October 31st.

Anyway, I asked Alex what he wanted to be this year, and without hesitation he once again said he wanted to be Handy Manny.  It's an easy costume and we have all the pieces.  I reminded him he doesn't have to be the same thing every year (because apparently I am too stupid to just take the easy route), but he said Handy Manny was the one.  Until Travis came home with a Batman costume complete with cape.

I will tell you, I put one enthusiastic Batman on the bus this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment