Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Right in the Feels

At bedtime last night, Aiden curled up on Alex's bed and Alex immediately contorted his body around her.  He looked up at me and the following coversation happened:

Alex:  Mom?  I want Aiden to live forever.
Me:  Me too buddy.
Alex:  But she's not going to is she?  She's going to die.  And then we won't have a dog.
-At this point his chin has started to quiver and tears were welling in his eyes.
Me:  Yes, honey, she will die.  But we can maybe get a new dog then...?
-Now he's full on crying and I'm barely holding it together.
Alex:  But I don't want a new dog!  I just want Aiden.  I want her to live forever.

And as my heart was breaking into tiny shards of sadness, I told him that we love her very much but she won't live forever, so we should focus on being happy with her while she's still here.  He agreed and just snuggled in closer to Aiden.

Our household is going to completely fall apart when this dog dies.  Travis and I are so attatched to her it's crazy, and then you throw the love of a 5 year old boy on top of that?  Holy buckets.

No comments:

Post a Comment