Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Exceptional



The mascot for the high school in our district is a Silver Eagle.  And Alex's school mascot?  The Eaglets.  Cracks me up.  His school's "mission" is for every student to exhibit safe, respectful, and responsible behavior.  Every month each teacher gets to pick two or three students from their class as that month's Exceptional Eaglets.  I cannot believe I am about to say this, but Alex was one of the Exceptional Eaglets this month.  OUR Alex.  The one that caused his teacher to email or call me on close to a daily basis.  The one that was on a behavior modification plan that required him to check in with his teacher 9 times a day.  That Alex.

I honestly imagine it must have been a surreal, and possibly proud, feeling when his teacher wrote this about Alex Julius, and stuck it to the wall in the cafeteria with the other Exceptional Eaglets this month:


I am so proud of him.  And when I told him I am proud of him and how hard he's worked to behave well at school, he said, "Fanks Mom.  I'm proud of myself."  Maybe a bit of hubris there, but he works hard at making better choices, and I'm ok with him being proud of succeeding.

That picture though.  Damn.  It reminds me of the "bitter beer face" from Keystone commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment