Friday, February 20, 2015

Making His Point

A couple nights ago, I was putting Alex to bed when I remembered I needed to set the alarm on my phone.  So I took my phone out of my pocket and turned it on.  Alex immediately recognized the glow of the hand held game machine that my phone has become, and asked if he could do something.  I declined as it was bed time, 4 minutes until he was to be asleep in fact.  He instantly launched into a lengthy justification of why he should be granted access.  And with each sentence, his disdain for my stupidity was showing more and more.  He was getting all worked up, but it was still slightly amusing listening to reason after reason of why he should be allowed to use my phone.  "Mom...it's gonna be super fast."  "No."  "Mom, seriously, I'm not even gonna play a game, I'm just gonna upgrade my truck."  "No."  "Mom, please, just listen, this is gonna be super fast and I'll be done."  "No."

I let him go on for a bit because like I said, it was slightly amusing, and, let's be real, I need to get my giggles whenever the opportunity arises.  He finally reached his breaking point of dealing with my apparent ignorance and punctuated his final argument with a "DUH!"

....

My face promptly changed from a look of amusement to a look of "What's that now?"  Alex paused, gasped while looking terrified, and buried himself under his blankets like a turtle.  I let things sit quietly for a couple beats and I heard a small, "...Sorry Mom" from my little blanket reptile.  I accepted his apology and indicated that perhaps he got a little carried away.

No comments:

Post a Comment