Friday, December 28, 2012

Go to Sleeeeeep!!!

Bed time around the Julius house has gotten a wee bit out of control.  The beast can sense it coming and winds himself up tighter than a cymbal playing monkey on high powered batteries.  You can actually watch his inner silly ramp up minute by minute.  And unfortunately, he's really funny so his super mature parents are absolutely no help.

After Travis read him four stories, Alex announced he wanted me to lay down with him for a while.  I know it's probably a bad idea and it is definitely forming a bad habit, but I love this time with him.  He's usually snuggly and very chatty.  Last night he was super fidgety though too.  It was all I could do to keep him in bed.  First he forgot his tractor that he cannot go to sleep without.  Then he forgot his milk.  Then he wanted to say good night to Daddy.  Each time I protested, we discussed and he only won once.

As Travis was leaving the room, I asked if he would be so kind as to make some p-o-p-c-o-r-n.  I asked figuring he would wait more than .4 seconds to start, in order to give me a little time to soothe the wildebeest I was trying to keep in bed.  I figured wrong.

As the popcorn started popping, Alex asked me what that noise was.  I responded like any responsible parent responding to their child's inquisitive mind:  I don't know...Daddy's doing something.  Shockingly, he was fine with that answer.  And then the aroma hit his little nose.  His head snapped around and he looked at me shocked and asked what that smell was.  Again, I didn't know.  But he knew this time.  "I fink it's PAH - corn."  Again trying to quell this questioning, I said I didn't know.  Well, then we should ask Dad.  Since I had told him if he got out of bed again, I was taking his tractor away, he laid perfectly flat and yelled, "DAD ARE YOU MAKING PAH - CORN?!"  No answer.  "DAD!!!!  ARE. YOU. MAKING. PAH. CORN?"  When he heard that yes, indeed Travis was making popcorn, his eyes lit up!  "I want some!"

I really didn't feel like engaging in this dog fight, so I asked Travis to bring a small bowl.  After he had it for 3 seconds, he informed me he had to get up and give it to Daddy, because, "I fink he's hungry."  That is very sweet kiddo, but you best keep your little butt in bed.  Nice try though.  Good.  Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment