Thursday, May 29, 2014

Ta da!

Turns out if you're old enough and you manage to keep your blood pressure high enough, they don't like you to keep being pregnant.  A couple of Fridays ago, I didn't feel so hot, so I went to Walgreens to have someone check my blood pressure.  It was not good, so I went to my doctor.  They checked it a couple of times, made me pee in a cup for the thousandth time, and took some blood for testing.  They sent me home with instructions to lay low for the weekend and call them if I didn't start feeling better or if I started feeling worse.  I had a regular check-up scheduled the following Tuesday, so if nothing went drastically wrong, we would all reconvene then.  Good good.

I felt good the rest of the weekend and thought we were smooth sailing...right up until the nurse told me my blood pressure at the beginning of my appointment on Tuesday.  It was still high.  So my doctor came in, looked over the nurse's notes and said, "Well, since you're old, and you now have two high blood pressure readings logged in a row, we don't want you to go passed 37 weeks." Ummmm, but 37 weeks was the next day.  "Yep!" she says, "Let's have a baby tomorrow!"

Whoa whoa whoa.  Tomorrow?  Like tomorrow.  Tomorrow.  What.  I had mentally prepared myself for him to arrive a couple weeks early, but I was NOT ready for her to tell me we were inducing and it was happening in less than 24 hours from where my naked butt was sitting.  But that was what was happening.  So we put me on the schedule to show up at the hospital at a bright and shiny 8:30am, and I headed back to work absolutely FREAKING OUT.  I just kept saying, "Tomorrow.  Like for real tomorrow.  Oh my god TOMORROW."  I got everything in order at work and at home and attempted to sleep.  Tried and failed.

Wednesday morning we dropped a very excited but nervous Alex off at daycare and made our way to the hospital.  I will spare you the details of the long day of waiting...but it did maybe include some stunning modeling of disposable mesh underwear..

We waited for a long time for the medicine to convince my body to have this baby.  But after a long wait, and a ton of crazy contractions, he decided he was ready to come out and he was done waiting.  6 minute delivery.  I went from 5cm dialated to holding my son in 25 minutes.  Things got a little crazy at the end there!

But, crazy with an awesome ending.  It is my pleasure to introduce to you Mr. Samuel Robert Julius.


2 comments:

  1. the most handsome baby ever born! And so smart! and loves his mama and great-aunt Mimi

    ReplyDelete