Thursday, February 27, 2014

Win!

Last Friday, Alex was watching some videos on our Tab.  I let him watch a couple and then told him it was time to turn it off and do something that didn't involve staring into a screen.  He surprisingly did not agree it was time to turn it off and told me the next one would the be the absolute for sure last one.  Riiiiight.  So I told him he had a choice:  he could either listen to me and turn the Tab off and be able to watch a video later, or he could watch the absolute for sure last one and not be allowed to watch videos for a week.  After zero seconds of deliberation, he decided to go for it and watch the absolute for sure last one.

He has only asked to watch videos a couple of times this week and has not thrown a fit when I remind him of the choice he made.  Last night, a friend was over and the subject of videos on the Tab came up and I reminded Alex he couldn't watch until Friday.  Through a "not sure if I want to know" expression, my friend asked why he wasn't allowed access to the sacred Tab.  I explained the choice he made, and she and Alex had the following conversation:

Her:  So you can't watch it at all huh?
Him:  No.
Her:  Do you think you made the right decision?
Him:  Not really.
Her:  You think you'll make that decision again?
Him:  Ummm...no, probably not.

MOM FOR THE WIN!  I think in the parenting world, we're supposed to call this a "learning moment" or something.  Whatever, I didn't get in an argument with him.  I didn't let the situation get to a point of frustration for either of us.  And I let him make a decision knowing the consequences.  I knocked that shit outta the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment