Thursday, October 26, 2017

Preparing

As previously mentioned, we have been talking to Alex about Aiden dying in an effort to prepare him as much as possible for the semi truck of emotions that event will deliver.  The other night, I thought he was procrastinating coming upstairs to get ready for bed and I was getting a bit impatient.  I finally yelled down the stairs for him to come up, and he replied that he would in a sec but that he was talking to Aiden.  I looked down into the living room to see him kneeling on the floor in front of the couch with his head resting on the couch cushion next to her head while he was petting her and talking to her.  Yeah, I immediately felt like an asshole for scolding him and let him be with her as long as he wanted.

When he came upstairs, he was visibly sad and I asked what was wrong.

"I just really don't want her to die."
"I know buddy.  I am so sorry."
"Mom?  When she does die, can we have a pet funeral for her?"
~trying desparately to figure out what a pet funeral would entail~"Of course we can."
"And?  Then can you find another dog that looks exactly like her and make sure it's a girl and can we name her Aiden?"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand then we cried.  When it happens, the death of this dog is gonna be rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment