Thursday, January 14, 2021

Still Here

 We're still here.  It's been a looooong time.  But man, life is hard right now and hard in ways that writing it down just ain't cuttin' it to ease things.  We'll get through.  

A result of ::life:: right now is that Sam is back to not being able to sleep unless he is touching me.  And while I love his snuggles, sleeping next to a human that spins like a propeller in his sleep is not conducive to getting any rest.  This was last night's conversation after books and while he was supposed to be trying to go to sleep:

Sam:  Hey Mom, what do you want to be when you fully grow up.

Me:  I'm not sure buddy.  I really like being a mom and I think I would like to do something that helps people.  Please lay down and close your eyes.

Sam:  Oooo!  You could be an ambulance worker.  They help people!  You just have to make sure you sign your name when you get there so they know you're part of the crew.  Make sure you sign your name.

Me:  Yes, ambulance workers do help people a lot.  Please lay down and close your eyes.

Sam:  But I can't see anything when I close my eyes.

~two beats of silence~

Sam:  Hey Mom, do alligators stay up at night?

Me:  Ummm, no I don't think so.  I think they hunt during the day and sleep at night...like you should be doing.  Please lay down and close your eyes.

Sam:  But if it gets really hot during the day, I bet they'll just rest in the water.

~two beats of silence~

Sam:  Hey Mom, what would you do if you were a robot?

Me:  What?!  I don't...I mean...I guess robot..stuff?

Sam:  I would do robot dance moves.  Wanna see my robot dance moves?

Me:  You showed them to me earlier and they were lovely.  Please lay down and close your eyes.

~two beats of silence~

Sam:  Hey Mom, you're the best mom that ever did mom.  I love you, Mama.

Me:  And you're the best Sam that ever did Sam.  I love you too, buddy.  Now please lay down and close your eyes.

Sam:  Wanna see my blankets wrestle?!

Me:  SAM!


No comments:

Post a Comment